4 pounds of chicken bone-in (preferred) or 3 pounds of boneless chicken
1 large yellow or white onion (or 2 medium sized onions), quartered.
2 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon MSG (optional)
1 bag elbow macaroni, 16 ounces
- Add chicken, onion, salt, sugar, and MSG into a large pot. Bring to a boil and reduce to simmer for ~8 minutes. It should take about 10-15 minutes after it hits a boil.
- Meanwhile, boil your macaroni in a separate pot of water until al dente, then drain.
- Check the doneness of the chicken as each 1-2 minutes pass. The chicken should be white in the center and have the juices run clear. Adjust seasoning as needed.
- Remove chicken, let it cool, then pull into shreds with your fingers or a fork.
- Add to a bowl macaroni, some broth, chicken, and garnish with chopped cilantro and scallion. Top with sambal and serve!